I wanted to write a blog post about happiness and some tips that I have learned from watching documentaries and reading books. These are just some of the tips that I believe are helpful and I personally have used to become a happier person. They may not work for everyone but you don’t know until you try so here they are:
- Hang out with positive happy people – Happy people’s energy and mood will rub off on you eventually. Make an effort to hang out with generally kind and happy people and before you know it you will notice that you will start being a little more positive and happy! (Look to the drama kids if you are in school and don’t know the happy kids are)
- Fall down Seven times, stand up Eight – Be resilient! Life is gonna knock you down sometimes but don’t let what happened to you define you. Rise above the situation! It shows your strength and although it may be hard at first you will thank yourself at the end of the day for not giving up.
- Celebrate small victories – An achievement is an achievement no matter how small. If you struggle with waking up early or getting to school on time and one day you get up early and make it to school before the bell rings well that is an accomplishment and you should be proud of yourself for doing so.
- Appreciate the little things – Very often we get caught up in the hustle and bustle of life and we forget to smell the flowers, look at the clouds, and just be. Take time out of our day to appreciate all the beautiful little things around you. You might notice that there are more than you thought 😉
- Be optimistic – Through self talk humans convince themselves that they can’t do something but if we simply say that we CAN instead of we can’t, more likely than not we will be able to. Try to look on the brighter side of things. You will become a happier person and perhaps your luck will start to change.
- Volunteer – Giving back is one of the best ways to become a happier person. Knowing that you have made a positive impact on someone else’s life, perhaps someone that you don’t even know, creates an almost indescribable feeling.
- Do what you love – A lot of times we get caught up in pursuing a career that we are not necessarily passionate about because we are influenced by our friends or family or the possibility of making a substantial amount of money. Instead of getting caught up in all the hype and focusing on what everyone else wants you to do, do what you want to do. Pursue the career path that you want to pursue. If you are truly passionate and want it bad enough you will make it happen!
- Be open minded – We are all different. We are all born different, come from different places, eat different food, and love different people. Being different doesn’t mean bad. Having strict ideals for how someone should live their lives is only gonna isolate you from a portion of the population. Instead of doing that, why not listen to others opinions, put yourself in their shoes then decide.
- Live in the moment/Don’t Worry – Stop worrying about what happened five years ago, a month ago, or a minute ago. We can’t go back and time and correct it so why don’t you realize what you did, learn from your mistake if you did make one, move on, and appreciate what is going on in the present. Although YOLO has become an extremely obnoxious saying due to its over usage, it absolutely true! We really do only live once. You only get one shot and wouldn’t you rather spend it focusing on the good and enjoying the moment instead of worrying about the past and the things that you can’t change?
- Music – Listen to music. That’s it.
- Sleep – We all need Zzz’s.
- Cultivate close relationships with friends and family – According to the documentary Happy which is available on Netflix, the happiest people in the world have close friends and family. So make an effort to be close to your friends and family. Simple.
- Gratitude – Be appreciative and thankful for what you have instead of focusing on what you don’t. Once you learn to be grateful for the things around you, more good things will come. I guarantee it. I would encourage you to write down a few things everyday that you are grateful for. You will begin to notice your mindset about your life change.
I hope that you found these tips helpful! It’s a cold world sometimes but if you realize that you hold the key to your destiny with the thoughts in your head then
What tips do you guys have on happiness? Is there anything that I didn’t mention that you believe would help contribute to becoming a happier person?